Hospitals are anchor institutions in most communities and are often models for community behavior. At a time when more than 68% of the US population is considered obese or overweight and diabetes affects more than 26 million Americans and is the seventh leading cause of death, hospitals, and health facilities can lead by example by modeling safe, responsible, and nutritious eating behaviors.
Ready to emphasize healthy, sustainable foods in your hospital or facility? Check out our great resources, below. And, Mygreendoctor.org provides an excellent list of practical, industry-standard guidelines that you can print and give to the vendors who bring food to your facility:
Healthy Foods Guidelines
- Organic - Choose organic foods and beverages whenever possible.
- Go local - Seek produce & specialty products that come from within 100 miles of the community.
- Be Sustainable - Offer fish and seafood products from sustainable fisheries and farms.
- Recyclable/Reusable - Use recyclable or reusable plates, cups, and cutlery.
- Whole foods - Promote healthier eating by using as many whole, fresh, and unprocessed foods as possible.