MOVING FORWARD TOOLKIT
Climate change is the greatest health threat of our time, and in response, health professionals across the U.S. and around the world are stepping into leadership on climate solutions. Changes to our climate are already impacting communities. These changes reach us all, especially impacting the most vulnerable among us. This is why climate change is also called the greatest moral imperative of our time.
Health professionals have an important role as trusted messengers to engage their patients, peers, community, and policymakers on equitable climate solutions. Our latest guide, Moving Forward: A Guide for Health Professionals to Build Momentum on Climate Action, provides you with guidance and tools to reduce energy use, to build resilient clinics and health departments, and advocate for climate solutions that prioritize health and equity. Implement the tools and recommendations in this guide to become a part of the movement to heal the world and protect future generations.
Helpful Resources from Climate for Health
- Let’s Talk Health and Climate
- Designed to be useful for experienced and novice climate change and health communicators alike, this guide synthesizes academic research and message testing on climate communications from across the social sciences into a practical guide to support the meaningful discussion of climate change and health with individuals and groups.
- Mental Health and Our Changing Climate
- Created by ecoAmerica in collaboration with the American Psychological Association, this guide reviews the implications of a changing climate on personal and public health, and offers guidance for community leaders in preparing for and addressing climate impacts.
- Climate for Health Talking Points
- A series of timely and topical conversation starters, including a few positive talking points and some responses to key questions or criticisms. This guidance is grounded in ecoAmerica’s extensive research on climate communications, and our experience deploying it.
- Climate for Health Blog
- A collection of stories and resources from Climate for Health and our partners.
Helpful Resources from our other ecoAmerica programs, Path to Positive Communities and Blessed Tomorrow
- Checklist: Local Actions to Mitigate and Build Resilience to Climate Change
- A comprehensive checklist that builds on the basic list in the Moving Forward guide, with concrete steps for climate preparation/resilience and mitigation, plus links to additional resources.
- Let’s Talk Communities & Climate
- This tool provides guidance for empowering and effective messages and communications on climate change that have been proven to move Americans toward support for climate solutions and action.
- Blessed Tomorrow Moving Forward Guide
- A guide to provide you with information and resources to reduce energy use, to build resilient houses of worship as refuges from a changing climate, and to encourage support for policies that better care for creation.
- Let’s Talk Faith and Climate
- A guide similar to the Let’s Talk Communities and Climate Guide, but instead including research-based, tested messaging that is proven to resonate with people of faith.
- Path to Positive Communities Moving Forward Guide and Toolkit
- This guide is for civic leaders in smaller and mid-sized communities that want to lead on climate and sustainability but may lack full-time sustainability staff.
Thank you to all of the Climate for Health partners, Leadership Circle members, and endorsers who contributed to the Moving Forward Guide.