As part of the National Environmental Health Association’s partnership with Climate for Health, we are addressing climate change through clean energy solutions. NEHA’s Board of Directors approved a declaration on 100% clean energy by 2030. Carbon pollution is warming our planet and profoundly affecting the U.S. and the world. U.S. leadership can help the world meet these challenges with innovative solutions. We have an obligation to act today on climate change and build a sustainable future for our children, and we must start with mitigating our own climate impact.
NEHA’s Executive Director, Dr. David Dyjack, weighed in on the developments from the board meeting: “I am very pleased that the board approved the 100% clean energy declaration. Our organization is committed to be the most influential voice in the environmental health profession. Through this declaration, NEHA continues to project leadership and provide the highest quality tools and resources that can help guide and inform decisions that affect public health and the health of our country.”
NEHA recognizes climate change as a worldwide environmental health challenge that detrimentally affects the health and safety of individuals and communities. Climate change alters our environmental health—the quality of air, food, and water in the communities where we live, work, and play. Environmental health professionals improve and protect the public’s health and create and sustain healthy communities. Our responsibility is to build the capacity of environmental health professionals to address the health effects of climate change.
Therefore, NEHA is committed to work towards 100% clean energy use by 2030. We will employ administrative, educational, engineering, and fiscal measures to meet this goal. These measures will:
- Demonstrate Leadership: Environmental health professionals are influencers in their local communities and professional They are the voice of their communities on all environmental health concerns.
- Create a Positive Energy Future: Climate change solutions need to promote abundant clean energy, avoid costly carbon pollution, and provide choices in affordable
- Improve People’s Health: Solutions need to clean the air, improve land and water quality, and provide healthy food
- Build Shared and Sustainable Prosperity: Climate solutions need to create American jobs and a sustainable economy that supports better lives and livelihoods today and for generations to
- Prepare for Harmful Effects: As we begin to reverse the climate crisis, restore the natural environment, and build a better future, we must protect families, communities, and livelihoods from the harmful effects we are already experiencing from climate
- Involve All Americans: All of us must have a say in decisions that affect our lives including youth and vulnerable
Please join NEHA in making a commitment to clean energy. Please continue to visit NEHA’s climate change website for more NEHA and ecoAmerica resources addressing climate change.
NEHA is a partner of Climate for Health, a coalition of health leaders committed to caring for our climate to care for our health. Founded by ecoAmerica, Climate for Health offers tools, resources, and communications to demonstrate visible climate leadership, inspiring and empowering health leaders to speak about, act on and advocate for climate solutions. Learn more about our partnership and the resources available to you here.